The sinus symptoms of allergies such as sneezing episodes and sinus pressure can disrupt sleep and make anyone miserable. Luckily, there are measures that can help alleviate these symptoms.
How to keep sinus symptoms under control
Always bear in mind that many usually set an appointment with a doctor for chronic sinus symptoms. If the doctor provided a prescription medication regimen, it should be followed. Along with these self-care measures, they are also beneficial in alleviating the sinus symptoms.
Even though it is hard to control the environment, you might be able to control the space where you stay so that it is kinder to swollen sinuses such as the following:
- Make the area warm and humid so that the sinuses stay moist which promotes drainage.
- Ensure that the environment is clean by focusing more on allergen-avoidance measures especially those who have allergies.
One of the sinus symptoms such as runny or stuffed nose can be bothersome. Aside from the pain, the individual feels miserable. When dealing with the pain, you can try the following:
- Apply an ice pack or warm compress to reduce the pain and pressure caused by the congestion and inflammation.
- Gargle using salt water to provide relief to the sore throat due to postnasal drip.
- Provide the individual with an over-the-counter pain medication to reduce the sinus pain.
How to care for your nose
Whether dealing with allergies, common cold or a sinus infection, there are various measures that can be used to deal with the symptoms such as the following:
- Over-the-counter antihistamines, decongestants and supplements can help control the sinus symptoms.
- Limit exposure to potential irritants such as chlorinated pools, secondhand smoke and temperature changes to reduce nasal irritation.
- Use a saline nasal spray or neti pot to provide rapid nasal clearing.
- Increase the intake of fluids to keep the body hydrated to ease the discomfort and thin out the nasal secretions.
Remember that taking good care of the body can boost the immune system so that the sinus symptoms can be minimized. It is vital to stick with the right diet, exercise, reduce stress and get enough sleep as well as avoid smoking and alcohol.