If an individual is diagnosed with an allergy to pets, the best advice is to remove pets from the house. Once the pets have been removed, it is best to consider the following measures.
- All surfaces should be vacuumed to remove pet hair and also wash the floor and walls.
- All carpets and upholstery should be steam cleaned. You can turn on the heating or air conditioning system to facilitate quick drying of these surfaces and prevent mite and mold growth.
- All bedding and draperies should be washed even if the pet was not directly in contact with them.
Measures to minimize animal allergens
- The individual should not obtain any new pets
- Limit pets outdoors or to a limited area in the house. Remember not to bring pets in the bedroom.
- Do not allow pets to lick the face or hands
- Wash everything inside the house including the walls if a cat is present.
- Wash all soft furnishings and bedding on which an animal has lain.
- Individuals who come in contact with animals outside the house must change their clothes and shoes as well as wash their hair upon arriving home.
- Children who are highly sensitive should not play on carpets where animals have been.
- Wash all pet baskets and bedding on a regular basis.
- If possible, remove carpeting from rooms where pets usually stay and vacuum the floor regularly. Any leftover carpets should be cleaned with a high-temperature steam cleaner and regularly vacuumed with a HEPA vacuum cleaner.
- There are solutions that are available that work by altering the animal allergens to make them less reactive. These are usually sprayed on soft furnishings and carpets or added to water when washing fabrics.
- There are also products available to condition the skin of animals and minimize the amount of allergen released to the environment.
- It is best to utilize a good air filter to minimize the amount of allergens in the air or ensure proper ventilation in the rooms.
Tips on handling pets
It is important that you are familiar with general pet hygiene tips in order to minimize the risk of infection.
- Always wash hands thoroughly using an antibacterial soap after being exposed to pets.
- Instruct children to always wash hands. You can wipe their hands using a cleaning wipe especially before eating anything.
- Always make sure that children stay away from cat or dog feces. Do not allow children to play close to a litter tray and avoid litter bins for dogs while at the park.
- It is important to check if your pets are in good health. The immunizations should be updated while regular check-up is vital in order to stop any possible infections.
- The fur of pets should stay clean at all times. It simply involves cleaning the paws if they dug up any soil or a thorough shampooing after swimming in a local river or lake.