Allergy to fruit pectin

When it comes to an allergic reaction to fruit pectin, it is considered uncommon but possible. Testing that indicates the presence of immunoglobulin E antibodies which occurs after ingesting fruit pectin will confirm an allergy to fruit pectin. Some of the allergic reactions to fruit pectin might be linked to another food-related allergic reaction or oral allergy syndrome. In case the only symptom is an itchy mouth after eating certain fruit pectin, the individual might have this condition. A doctor must be consulted to discuss all the symptoms experienced.

Ingestion of fruit pectin

It is important to note that fruit pectin is typically found in the flesh and skin of fruit. Pectin is the fiber that helps with the digestion but for some individuals, an allergic reaction occurs which makes pectin a substance that must be avoided. After the ingestion of fruit pectin, the immune system overreacts to the substance and releases several chemicals to fight it. Once this occurs, the tissues all over the body become swollen, triggering the usual allergic symptoms such as sinus congestion, asthma, digestive issues and skin rashes. If you want to properly manage the symptoms, read here.

Fruit pectin allergy

The usual symptoms linked to oral allergy syndrome include burning, itching or stinging in the tongue, lips, mouth or throat.

Oral allergy syndrome

It is important to note that oral allergy syndrome is an allergic reaction related to food that occurs once a fruit related to a weed, tree or grass pollen is ingested. If the individual suffers from hay fever, he/she is more likely to develop this condition. The body mistakenly identifies the proteins in fruit pectin as pollen in which he/she is allergic to. Remember that this will not cause the entire body to react; only the mouth, throat and lips are affected. The usual symptoms linked to this reaction include burning, itching or stinging in the tongue, lips, mouth or throat. It is uncommon for this condition to progress to any other allergic reactions.

Treatment

Once fruit pectin is ingested, it can be managed by consulting a doctor and taking an oral antihistamine. Take note that oral allergy syndrome is managed by identifying the fruit and pollen that instigated the symptoms. Once identified, the doctor might recommend the elimination of the pollen and fruit from the diet. In some cases, cooking the fruit before eating can help minimize the symptoms.

In severe cases, allergy shots can help alleviate this condition. If the individual develops a severe allergic reaction, immediate medical care is required. Remember that a severe allergic reaction can lead to death if not quickly treated. Call for emergency assistance immediately if the individual develops inability to breathe, facial swelling or feeling faint.

Testing

One way to diagnose and confirm that an individual is allergic to fruit pectin is to undergo allergy testing. The allergy tests involve the use of a small amount of protein from the fruit pectin that is administered under the upper skin layer. If the individual is allergic, the skin will become red in color and inflamed within 15 minutes.

Share

Tags: