Asthma: Connection with mold allergies

An individual with asthma might experience an attack if exposed to spores from common mold. Upon inhaling the spores, allergic rhinitis can develop which is a combination of symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, itching, watery eyes, coughing and congestion.

It is also possible that mold can result to the development of asthma. Just recently, there is no strong proof that it can trigger asthma though. In one study, children who grew up in houses with mold odor are likely to develop asthma in the future.

Luckily, only a small percentage of individuals with allergies are highly sensitive. A small percentage of individuals are allergic and half might result to an actual illness.

Asthma

Upon inhaling the spores, allergic rhinitis can develop which is a combination of symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, itching, watery eyes, coughing and congestion.

Close look on mold

Mold is a form of fungus that feeds on organic matter whether it is carpeting or a rotting pile of leaves. These are broken down and the nutrients are absorbed.

Mold ideally thrives in moist, warm environments. The air is usually filled with spores during the warm summer months, often triggering seasonal cases of hay fever. In warm and humid areas where they thrives all year, allergies can be a continuous nuisance.

They are also present indoors as well. Remember that they only require oxygen, something to feed on and moisture. A moist basement is the usual spot. In addition, mold can also thrive on carpets in other damp areas such as closets, basements and bathrooms.

Management

The ideal treatment for the allergy is to avoid being exposed in the first place. In case the individual lives in an area where it could not be avoided, the doctor can be consulted so that further assessment can be carried out.

An antihistamine medication can be given to control the symptoms. As for severe cases, the doctor might prescribe a series of allergy shots to minimize sensitivity to mold.

Control measures

Even if an individual is not sensitive to mold, you do not want for it to take over the house. Aside from being unattractive, but will start to smell if allowed to spread. If there is a patch growing in the bathroom or in any space in the house, it can be killed using diluted bleach solution or any product that is specially intended to deal with mildew or mold.

Share

Tags: ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

captcha