An allergic reaction of the skin or contact dermatitis might be an indication of brass allergy. It is important to note that brass is considered as an alloy of zinc and copper but might also include other metals.
Nickel is the most common metal that triggers allergic reactions. The nickel silver brass is utilized for jewelry, musical instruments and various decorative items.
What are the causes?
The immune system wrongly perceives that a metal such as brass or nickel as a threat to the body. An allergic reaction to nickel or metals that contain nickel including brass might increase after repeated or extended exposure.
What are the signs?
The allergy symptoms that stem from exposure to brass are typically delayed for 24-48 hours after.
The signs generally arise within 12 hours and include:
Dry patches of skin and blisters that strikingly resemble a burn might also form and the symptoms might last from 2-4 weeks.
Management of brass allergy
The doctor might prescribe a corticosteroid cream to lessen the swelling and itchiness such as betamethasone dipropionate and Clobetasol. The doctor might also suggest an oral corticosteroid such as prednisone for a severe or large rash.
Soothing lotions such as calamine are also suggested as well as over-the-counter antihistamines and corticosteroid lotions. Just make sure that a doctor has been consulted if these products are safe to the be used.