Dangerous types of mold

There are different types of mold in our environment but only a few can thrive within houses and other buildings that are considered dangerous to our health. Take note that molds are not inherently toxic. The danger is the reaction of the human body to the substance once exposed. Those who are prone to allergies, compromised immune systems and lung problems are those who frequently suffer from adverse effects. By being familiar with the dangerous types of mold, it can greatly help in delivering the appropriate first aid care as well as treatment to prevent the condition of the individual from worsening.


This is considered as the most common type of mold that is known to cause health problems and allergic reactions. This mold is frequently present in heating and air conditioning systems at houses and commercial establishments. It can be brown, gray, green, yellow or white in color and can thrive well in dry conditions. Most varieties are capable of producing volatile organic compounds that generate the unpleasant odor. Certain varieties of this mold that are highly toxic can affect brain, liver, kidney and heart.

Stachybotrys chartarum


Prolonged exposure to Stachybotrys chartarum can cause severe health problems including diarrhea, fatigue, suppressed immune system, sore throat, headache, asthma, memory loss and even brain damage.

This is a slimy, greenish black mold that is less common inside buildings but considered the most toxic that requires constant moisture for proper growth. The mold is present on materials that have high cellulose content such as paper, fiberboard, dust and lint. Prolonged exposure to this mold can cause severe health problems including diarrhea, fatigue, suppressed immune system, sore throat, headache, asthma, memory loss and even brain damage.


Even though it has antibiotic properties, certain species of Penicillium are considered toxic to humans since they attack the tissue. This mold is typically found in wallpaper, carpet, food, soil, and paint and decaying vegetation. The common symptom is asthma while the acute symptoms include bronchospasms and edema. Long-term exposure can result to pulmonary emphysema and some species can even cause health problems such as kidney and liver damage. Additionally, it can also cause hypersensitivity and certain skin problems.


This is present in textiles and carpet that typically causes allergic reactions. It can also cause asthma and in its acute form, can cause extrinsic asthma. The acute cases in some individuals can also result to the development of bronchospasms, edema and even pulmonary edema. The mold typically grows on dusty places, walls, soil, around windows and on plants.


The mold is often present on food, wallboard, paint, dirt and dead plants. It is best described as a common powdery mold that is dark green or black in color. Even though it is not toxic if compared to other molds, it can cause respiratory problems among individuals who have allergies if present in large amounts. Other mold reactions include asthma, skin rashes, nail fungus, sinus problems and pneumonia.