Do I have almond allergy?

Tree nuts including almonds are considered one of the common forms of food allergy that leads to deadly reactions followed by peanuts. Take note that not all reactions are severe that can lead to death, but many individuals with almond allergy can manifest a variety of symptoms that range from mild to serious.

Almond allergy can be considered as a lingering issue since there is no cure even today. Individuals who are allergic to almonds must be careful when eating other tree nuts since they may have or develop an allergic reaction to other nuts aside from almond. If possible, the individual should avoid any type of tree nut until properly diagnosed by a doctor.

What are the mild symptoms?

Some individuals have mild allergy to almonds that can manifest in various ways. The respiratory symptoms of mild allergic reaction to almond include difficulty breathing and wheezing. As for the gastrointestinal symptoms, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting can also occur. In some individuals, they might also notice tingling or swelling around the mouth.

Almond-allergy

The respiratory symptoms of mild allergic reaction to almond include difficulty breathing and wheezing.

Hives or itchy skin rashes can also occur, especially when the individual has eaten or touched almonds directly. The amount of almond eaten can affect the severity of the reaction and the symptoms that will manifest. Some individuals can experience minor symptoms during the initial times they have eaten the nut but the symptoms become progressively problematic over time. Take note that this may or may not lead to the development of a potentially fatal reaction.

What is laryngospasm?

Laryngospasm from food allergy particularly almond can develop once the food triggers swelling in the throat. It is important to note that this swelling can spread to include the vocal cords that block the airway once swollen.

As a result of this obstruction, the individual could not breathe and die without immediate medical care usually in the form of an epinephrine shot. In some cases, the initial exposure to almond or other tree nuts sensitizes the individual to the disease and later on experience laryngospasm once almonds are eaten for the second time.

Anaphylactic shock

Anaphylactic shock is a fatal reaction to almonds. During an anaphylactic shock, the individual initially experiences tingling or itchy sensation and there is a metallic taste in the mouth.

After a period of time that ranges for a few minutes to 2 hours, the individual can end up with severe symptoms such as swelling, vomiting, breathing difficulty, cramping, diarrhea, low blood pressure, loss of consciousness and even death. Remember that these can worsen progressively over a few hours or appear to get better and then recur later to be deadly.

If an individual is suspected with almond allergy, it is best to schedule an appointment with a doctor for proper assessment of the condition as well as recommend allergy testing to determine the specific trigger.

Share

Tags:

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

captcha