A gas leak might trigger detrimental health issues. It is important to note that natural gas has been used for heat, home appliances and hot water. Since it is odorless, a small leak is impossible to detect.
In case a gas leak is suspected, avoid touching electrical appliances or turning on anything that can cause a fire or spark.
Symptoms linked to a gas leak
A gas leak can change the amount of oxygen available. Once the individual breathes in less oxygen, the symptoms will start to manifest. If sudden or unexplained symptoms arise, it might be a sign of a gas leak in the house.
Some of these symptoms include:
- Eye and throat irritation
- Breathing issues
- Pale skin or blisters if exposed to compressed or liquid gas
The same symptoms are also present among pets. Exposure to extreme or high levels can lead to loss of consciousness or even death.
What should I do?
It is vital to observe the symptoms after leaving the house. If the headache recurs after returning home, there is a high possibility of a gas leak or presence of another form of air contaminant.
For mild gas odor, open the windows and ensure that the pilot lights are turned off. Get in touch with the gas company.
If the gas odor is strong or scenarios that trigger symptoms, leave the house or area right away. Remember that gas is highly volatile. If there is a gas leak in the house or area for some time, there is a high risk for an explosion.
More Information / Disclaimer
The information posted on this page on the health effects of gas leak is for learning purposes only. Learn to recognize the signs by taking a standard first aid course with Vancouver First Aid.