It is a known fact that wheezing can be an indication of a simple medical issue or even a serious medical complication. In case the individual could not determine why wheezing abruptly developed, it is best to schedule an appointment with the doctor right away. Nevertheless, the management of wheezing can be handled easily at home. There are various remedies that can range from natural options as well as medications that can help ease wheezing.
Steps on how to manage wheezing cough
You have to follow these measures if an individual has wheezing cough. These can be easily performed at home to provide relief to the individual.
- Instruct the individual to take a warm shower. If this is not possible, you have to close the shower curtain and turn the water setting to hot. Instruct the individual to sit close to the shower and breathe in normally. The steam produced from the shower will provide relief. In some cases, this will ease the wheezing until the medications take effect or until a doctor can be consulted.
- You can also use a vaporizer. The latest models in the market are now user-friendly. Some vaporizers only work on water and steam while others are built with a compartment where the medications are placed.
- Provide the individual with herbal teas to drink. The ideal option is licorice tea. When preparing the tea, add a teaspoon of licorice tea in a cup of hot water. Within 5-10 minutes once the tea has been ingested, the wheezing should reduce. In case the wheezing is due to bronchitis or asthma, encourage the individual to drink coffee. Take note that the caffeine will help loosen up the bronchial passages, allowing the individual to breathe easily.
- If Vick’s Vapor Rub is available, you have to apply it on the chest and place a warm towel over it. Avoid using a scorching towel since it will scald the skin and cause the Vapor Rub to scorch as well. Always see to it that the Vapor Rub and the cloth are applied on the higher region of the chest. This will allow the fumes to go through the breathing passages.
- An inhaler or nebulizer can be used. If the individual has medicines for wheezing due to bronchitis, asthma or emphysema, these must be taken before using any other remedies. Always remember that the medications alone should help ease the wheezing. If the wheezing persists, it is best to consult a doctor right away.
If wheezing is suspected, always schedule an appointment with a doctor to confirm a diagnosis. Always bear in mind that wheezing can indicate a minor cold or a condition that is serious. By enrolling in a first aid course, you can learn more about this symptom.