A cataract is usually characterized as a milky-colored build-up in the center of the eye. Yet, this is already in the advanced stage. In the initial phases, it might not be visible to others. Still, a cataract can start to affect vision early in their development.
Luckily, there are some measures that can improve low vision due to a cataract. Surgery is also an option for removal if they become severe.
Indications of a cataract
A doctor can diagnose an individual if he/she has a cataract, but it is recommended to set an eye exam if the following symptoms are present:
- Blurred vision
- Difficulty seeing at night
- A halo effect around lights
- Double vision
- Changes to color vision
What are the causes?
There are certain factors that increases the risk for cataracts. Those who drink or smoke excessively are at higher risk for developing cataracts. In addition, excessive exposure to the UV rays of the sun throughout life can put one at risk as well. As one ages, the risk is also increased as well as those who have a history of eye injuries.
There are some lifestyle habits that can protect the vision and even minimize the risk for developing cataracts such as the following:
- Protect the eyes using UV-light blocking sunglasses and a wide-brimmed hat. These can shield the eyes from the damaging rays of the sun.
- Among those who smoke, it is best to stop the habit as a way to promote better eye health.
- A diet that is rich in certain vitamins and minerals can protect the vision and minimize the risk for some eye conditions.
- Regular screening is required to detect and manage cataracts early as well as other eye issues that can affect vision.
If a cataract makes it hard for the individual to see, there are various ways to compensate for the poor vision. The individual might be given a new prescription for eye glasses. Even better lighting can be beneficial. In addition, the doctor might recommend other forms of eyewear that can minimize glare and other vision issues.
In case these measures are not effective or the cataracts significantly affect the vision, surgery might be an option to help improve vision.