Vancouver First Aid proudly offers video CPR training to its readers. The material posted on this page is for information purposes only. To learn to recognize and care for infant patients using CPR take a CPR course in Vancouver or Surrey with Vancouver First Aid Ltd. In the following scenario the infant is unconscious and not breathing. Basic Infant CPR steps are as follows:
1. Check the scene for any hazards.
2. Ask any bystanders if for parents or guardians. If parents or guardians are present, the rescuer must obtain permission prior to proceeding.
3. Assess the babies consciousness.
4. Gently open the infants airway and check for breathing.
5. Use a bystander to contact EMS and obtain a AED with pediatric pads if available.
6. Landmark on the center of the infants chest and begin 30 chest compression’s using two fingers.
7. With the airway open give the infant two “puff’s” or breaths.
8. Continue 30 chest compression’s and two ventilation’s until the AED arrives, the paramedics arrive, you are too tired to continue or if the infant shows signs of life.
*The video displayed includes the use of additional equipment such as a pocket mask which is a ideal barrier device for rescuers doing ventilation’s.
Learn more about infant CPR by taking a first aid and / or CPR course with Vancouver First Aid. Courses are available throughout the Lower Mainland including in Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Richmond, Delta, Coquitlam and Abbotsford.