Insecticide poisoning indications

The indications of insecticide poisoning usually varies from one individual to another. The type of chemical, amount, level of exposure and the overall health of the individual can affect the severity of the symptoms. Total avoidance might not be possible for some, but taking into consideration preventive measures can reduce the degree of exposure to the poison.

It is important to carefully read all the labels before using any insecticide. The label must provide you with all the vital details such as the name of the pesticide, precautions to observe and warning signs related to exposure along with the appropriate actions to take if poisoning occurs. Participants registered in first aid courses will be taught to recognize and manage the symptoms of exposure to insecticides.

Minimal exposure to insecticides

Insecticide poisoning

The symptoms of a minor exposure to insecticides include fatigue, headache and dizziness.

The symptoms of a minor exposure to insecticides include fatigue, headache and dizziness. Other likely symptoms that can occur include cramps, blurry vision, nausea and sweating as well as mimic common cold or flu. Oftentimes, the symptoms can vanish once the contact stops. Ending the exposure means putting away the insecticide and eliminating any contaminated clothing. The individual should also bathe thoroughly to remove any residual pesticide from the skin in case the symptoms persist.

Moderate exposure

Aside from the symptoms that develop during a minor exposure, an individual who was exposed to an insecticide can experience skin redness or rashes, slurred speech, lack of coordination or disorientation. Breathing in powders such as boric acid while being used can also trigger shortness of breath or even cause an asthma attack. Vomiting, severe tearing and coughing can also occur.

Severe exposure

An individual who was severely exposed to insecticides can suffer from seizures, difficulty breathing and loss of consciousness. The additional complications can occur which includes injury from falling after losing consciousness. Those who were severely exposed to insecticides can develop heart palpitations; turn blue in color and even progress to coma or death due to the disruption of the airway and circulation of blood.

Prolonged exposure to insecticides

Individuals who constantly work with insecticides or live in areas where the ground water is contaminated might suffer from physiological changes due to prolonged exposure. There is also the possibility for cancer, genetic changes, tumors and birth defects due to prolonged exposure to insecticides. Take note that this type of exposure takes months or even years before the effects manifest and they may or may not be reversed.

Exposure of pets

It is important to note that pets are often exposed to insecticides by accident. A garden that is being treated or recently sprayed with an insecticide can put a pet dog or cat exposed to the substances. The danger is heightened since the animal could not communicate the specific symptoms. In case the pet is acting in a strange manner, vomiting or staggering, a vet must be consulted and provide information regarding the insecticide that was used.

Share

Tags: