Jock itch is a scaly, pinkish, itchy rash on the interior thigh and groin. This skin condition is brought about by fungus, often the same one responsible for causing athlete’s foot. Oftentimes, it can be transferred by a towel used first to dry the feet and then used on the groin region.
What are the signs?
The usual indications of jock itch include:
- Itchiness of the groin, inner thigh or anal region
- Skin redness
- Slightly elevated patches of dry or scaly rash in the groin region or inner thigh, often with a reddened or brownish-red appearance with defined borders
Management of jock itch
The doctor might suggest applying an over-the-counter anti-fungal powder or spray on the affected area.
For severe or chronic cases, prescription medications are usually given by the doctor. An oral antifungal medication might be given by the doctor. In addition, the doctor will also prescribe drugs to be applied on the skin.
Oftentimes, the rash triggered by fungus becomes infected by bacteria. This is likely to occur if the individual scratches the rash. For a bacterial infection, the doctor might prescribe antibiotics.
How long does the rash last?
With proper treatment, the symptoms generally settle within 2-3 days. Always bear in mind that the rash is expected to settle within 3-4 weeks. In case the rash does not settle within a week or does not fully subside in a month, consult a doctor.
- Always make sure that the groin region is kept dry.
- If the individual is likely to develop athlete’s foot, avoid drying the rest of the body with the towel used to dry the feet.
- Use loose-fitting clothes made from natural fibers such as cotton. Do not use constricting clothes and those made of synthetic clothing that can cause the skin to perspire and does not allow the moisture to evaporate.
- Avoid using rough clothes that can irritate the skin.
- If engaging in activities that leads to excessive sweating, changes clothes as soon as possible.
- Shower or bathe right after working out and apply talc or other powder to the groin region after drying properly