MRSA infection: What are the potential dangers?

MRSA infection or methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus is a bacterial strain that can trigger serious infection. The main issue with MRSA is it is included in a group of multi-drug resistant organisms where commonly-used antibiotics are not effective in managing an infection. It is best to consult a doctor if an infection is suspected and uncertain of its origin particularly if recently hospitalized.

Remember that MRSA can result to dangerous consequences including severe skin or joint infections, inflammation of the heart, pneumonia, organ damage and even death.

Joint, skin and bone infections

mrsa-infection

A rash, abscess or draining wound or cut in the skin might be the initial sign of a staph infection.

A rash, abscess or draining wound or cut in the skin might be the initial sign of a staph infection. Tests will determine if the infection is MRSA. Cellulitis is a common type of skin infection caused by MRSA which is a sore, inflammatory skin condition with a reddened rash that can become tender, swollen and warm.

If not treated, the infections can spread, oftentimes resulting to an inflammatory bone disease known as osteomyelitis. It is usually painful and can lead to bone tissue death. In case a joint is affected, it can lead to the development of arthritis.

Individuals diagnosed with diabetes who suffer from issues with wound healing are at high risk for MRSA infection especially those under dialysis. In some cases, an infection can lead to an amputation.

Endocarditis or pneumonia

A MRSA infection can enter the bloodstream which can affect several organs including the heart and lungs.

If the lungs are affected, it can cause pneumonia. In case the heart is involved, it causes a form of inflammatory condition called endocarditis where there is inflammation of the lining of the heart and its valves.

Septic or toxic shock

Bacterial infections that invade the bloodstream might lead to septic shock. The abrupt onset of fever and continuous low blood pressure indicates septic shock or toxic shock.

It is important to note that toxic shock is a form of septic shock that might arise from a MRSA infection. Remember that shock is a critical condition that can lead to organ disruption including kidney failure and even death if not promptly treated.

More Information / Disclaimer

The information posted on this page on MRSA infection is for learning purposes only. Learn more about the possible complications by taking a standard first aid course with Vancouver First Aid.

Share

Tags:

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

captcha