Peanut allergy: Dealing with swollen lips

Peanut allergy is known to cause a variety of undesirable and dangerous symptoms. One of the potentially dangerous reactions is swollen lips, mouth and tongue. Once this occurs to an individual after eating peanut butter or any food, call for emergency assistance or bring the individual to the nearest emergency department.

Close look on peanut allergy

The body might respond to peanuts or peanut butter even if the individual has consumed these foods for years without any issues. It is not known why some individuals develop the allergy, but once they develop, it usually lasts for a lifetime.

Even though some children outgrow allergies to milk and wheat, most with peanut allergy do not. The individual might have reactions by eating peanuts or peanut butter, but some might also react if someone close is eating and some of the proteins are inhaled.

peanut-allergy-swollen-lips

The doctor will usually prescribe an epinephrine autoinjector to be used during emergencies.

What are the usual reactions?

The peanut allergy reactions can range from minor to severe. A mild case generally includes hives, rashes, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and a runny or clogged nose. The moderate reactions might include some facial swelling, coughing, lightheadedness or wheezing.

If a moderate reaction occurs after consuming peanut butter, seek immediate medical care right away since it might progress to a severe reaction or anaphylaxis. A mild reaction might arise initially if exposed to the allergen, but a severe reaction can occur on the next exposure.

Am I at risk for anaphylaxis?

In severe instances, peanut allergy can lead to anaphylaxis which necessitates medical care. Once the body responds to the allergen, swollen mouth and throat might arise and the individual has difficulty breathing and the blood pressure drops which leads to fainting.

The doctor will usually prescribe an epinephrine autoinjector to be used during emergencies.

Preventive measures

If an individual has peanut allergy, the ideal way to avoid a severe reaction is to be aware of the foods eaten. Carefully read the food labels to make sure that the foods eaten do not include any peanuts.

Share

Tags:

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

captcha