Molds are a type of fungi and typically found in buildings, houses and even outdoors. The indoor molds are found in damp, dark areas such as corners of bathrooms or basements. As for the outdoor molds, they are usually found in a heap of rotting leaves that were left out for some time or in filthy grass clippings. Many individuals are highly sensitive or quickly react upon exposure to spores and a reaction can range from minor sneezing episodes to severe lung issues that require medical care. It is important to note that there are varying degrees of mold sickness symptoms and the severity depends on how long the individual was exposed to the mold spores.
Exposure to the mold spores can trigger a reaction. With this in mind, any sources of mold inside or outside the house must be dealt with as soon as possible in order to prevent exposure. In some cases, hiring professional cleaning services is the best way to eliminate all traces of mold.
Signs and symptoms of mild mold sickness
The usual signs and symptoms of mild mold sickness are strikingly similar to the allergy symptoms which include the following:
- Itchy and reddish skin
- Itchy and watery eyes
- Sneezing episodes
It is important to note that these mild symptoms occur due to momentary exposure to the mold spores such as raking the moldy leaves in the backyard or while rummaging through old items in the basement.
If the individual does not have any underlying health conditions and have a healthy immune system, he/she might not experience a reaction once exposed to the mold spores.
Symptoms of moderate mold sickness
If an individual was diagnosed with mold allergy or sensitive to mold, the symptoms can be intense. Some of the signs and symptoms include stuffed nose, eye irritation as well as wheezing. Once an individual is exposed on a regular basis or in an on and off manner for a prolonged period, the reactions might consist of fever, shortness of breath as well as lung issues due to infection of the lungs.
Symptoms of severe mold sickness
When it comes to severe mold sickness, the signs and symptoms are often experienced if the individual was exposed to high levels of mold spores over an extended period of time such as over the course of several years. Take note that this might occur in the workplace.
In most cases, the symptoms include severe eye damage including blindness, severe lung issues, long-term memory loss as well as bleeding lungs and even cancer.
Once an individual is concerned about exposure to mold, it is vital to check the house to ensure that there are no hidden areas where mold thrives. A doctor should be consulted if the individual had a previous exposure to mold as well as discuss any symptoms that he/she might be experiencing.