Rat poison: How does it affect our health?

Rat poison has a potent effect on humans if ingested. Various rat poisons include anticoagulants which disrupt with the blood clotting process.

Since rats established resistance to poisons, newly improved warfarin are used which are highly toxic to both rats and humans. Remember that the full effects of the poison might not arise for up to 2 weeks after it has been ingested.

Hemorrhage

rat-poison

Take note that zinc phosphide can trigger chest tightness, cough and difficulty breathing. In some cases, fluid in the lungs might develop.

Remember that anticoagulants including warfarin which is present in rat poison generally cause bleeding several days after ingestion. Evident bleeding might arise from the gums and nose and results to large-sized bruises all over the body.

There is also blood in the urine and stools and even when vomiting. Take note that internal bleeding can lead to pallor and a drop in the blood pressure.

The resulting bleeding can lead to the depletion of the red blood cells which results to anemia. Other symptoms that might arise include shortness of breath, fatigue, dizziness, rapid heart rate, headache and cold hands or feet. If there is bleeding in the brain, it can cause agitation, confusion or lethargy.

Cardiopulmonary effects of rat poison

Take note that zinc phosphide can trigger chest tightness, cough and difficulty breathing. In some cases, fluid in the lungs might develop.

Weakening of the heart muscles, cardiomyopathy and erratic heartbeat can also develop if poisoning from zinc phosphide occurs.

Liver failure

Ingesting zinc phosphide which is present in rat poison can lead to damage to the liver. In most cases, it results to jaundice or yellow discoloration in the whites of the eyes and skin as well as coma.

Convulsions

A variant of rat poison specifically strychnine which is only used by trained personnel can cause severe episodes of convulsions. These are likely to occur within 15-20 minutes after ingestion. In some cases, zinc phosphide can also trigger convulsions.

Shock

Once internal bleeding continues, shock arises due to the drop in the blood volume. This results to low blood pressure, diminished urine output, difficulty breathing, sweating, apprehension, low body temperature, brain or kidney damage and loss of consciousness. In some cases, coma and even death can occur.

Quick Note / Disclaimer

The material posted on this page on rat poison is for learning and educational purposes only. To learn to recognize and manage this form of poisoning, register for a first aid and CPR course with Vancouver First Aid.

Share

Tags:

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

captcha