Royal jelly is a substance produced by honey bees that has been utilized as a natural or alternative medicine. As a source of food for the bee larvae, it has also been utilized by humans to manage reduced energy levels, as an antibiotic or to provide a boost to the immune system. On the other hand, using too much can lead to undesirable side effects.
Is it an allergic reaction?
Using royal jelly can trigger an allergic reaction among those who are not aware that they are highly sensitive to certain forms of pollen. The reactions can range from hives to anaphylaxis.
Any individual who is allergic to highly sensitive to pollen, honey or bee pollen products should be careful when using royal jelly products or supplements. A skin prick test performed by an allergist is suggested to ensure that the individual will not end up with a reaction to either royal jelly or bee pollen.
A stomach upset that arises after ingesting royal jelly has been reported. It can be accompanied by queasiness, nausea and even diarrhea among those who are sensitive to the product. In some instances, ingesting royal jelly can lead to intestinal bleeding.
Individuals who were diagnosed with asthma must avoid using royal jelly. The reactions can range from skin irritation or even difficulty breathing triggered by the spasms of the bronchial tubes and irritation of the air sacs in the lungs.
Those who are highly sensitive to the components of royal jelly might experience minor to moderate skin irritation. The reactions which includes rashes or redness which is called contact dermatitis might arise if royal jelly is utilized as a topical ointment.
Quick Note / Disclaimer
The material posted on this page on the dangers of royal jelly is for learning and educational purposes only. To learn more about these potential dangers, register for a first aid and CPR course with Vancouver First Aid.