Oysters are shellfish that can be eaten raw or cooked. Millions of individuals all over the globe are allergic to seafood such as shrimp, oysters or lobster. Depending on the harshness of the oyster allergy, an individual can experience various symptoms after eating any dish that contains oysters.
What are the skin reactions if I have oyster allergy?
Individuals who have oyster allergy can end up with skin reactions after consumption or directly handling oysters. The characteristic symptoms that will manifest include the following:
- Reddened, itchy rash on parts of body exposed to oysters
- Hives or itchy, swollen patches of skin around the mouth
- Swollen or bloated lips, hands or face
If an individual experiences any of these symptoms after eating a dish that contains oysters, set an appointment with a doctor so that proper assessment can be carried out.
Individuals who have oyster allergy can suffer from various digestive symptoms after eating dishes or food products that contain oysters. The typical symptoms include the following:
- Abdominal or stomach cramps
Once the individual experiences any of these symptoms, it is best to get in touch with a doctor so that proper care can be given.
After eating oysters, respiratory symptoms are likely to manifest if an individual is highly sensitive or allergic. The usual symptoms that occur include the following:
- Shortness of breath
In some cases, a severe reaction or anaphylaxis can also occur depending on the harshness of the allergy. Anaphylaxis is considered as a life-threatening reaction that can develop rapidly within seconds after being exposed to an allergen. The indications of this severe reaction include swollen tongue or throat, difficulty breathing, wheezing or loss of consciousness. Once any of these are present, seek immediate medical attention.
What are the other symptoms of oyster allergy?
Those who have oyster allergy can also suffer from other additional symptoms all over the body after eating any oyster products such as the following:
- Congested or itchy nose
- Sneezing episodes
- Eye irritation such as itchy or water eyes
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Loss of consciousness
If any of these symptoms occur after ingestion of oysters, it is vital to seek medical care as soon as possible so that further assessment can be carried out.