Victim of overdose given CPR

The death of an inmate
in the medium-security unit at Collins Bay Institution was due to a drug
overdose. The inmate, identified as Shane Elliott Gammie, 35-year old, died on
Saturday.

Gammie was serving a
sentence of 5 years, 9 months and 15 days on convictions from breaking and
entering, firearm use and possession of drugs for trafficking. The family were
informed of his death.

Dangers of overdose

Vancouver first aid
Several officers responded to the scene and delivered first aid CPR.

Based on a news
release, the Correctional Service Canada did not clearly state how Gammie died,
citing the Privacy Act but the police and coroner’s office were notified.

The officers on the
scene gave information that he died from a suspected drug overdose. This latest
death comes after an increasing incident in overdose deaths from illicit drugs
laced with fentanyl entering Collins Bay Institution.

As for the incident involving Gammie, 2 officers discovered him unresponsive in his cell during a routine walk through the unit. Several officers responded to the scene and delivered first aid CPR. It was a traumatic scene because he was vomiting while performing CPR. The officers tried naloxone, CPR and a defibrillator. They continued with the task until the paramedics arrived on the scene.

For more information
about this story, click
here
.

LEARN MORE

Learn how to help by enrolling in a first aid class and for more information, check out these sources:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/153849.php

https://www.mayoclinic.org/first-aid/first-aid-cpr/basics/art-20056600https://www.healthline.com/health/first-aid/cpr

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.