In many individuals, a mild allergic reaction to mold, pollen, pets and other allergens can worsen due to extensive exposure. Continuous contact or intermittent episodes of intense exposure can trigger severe symptoms of an allergic reaction over time whether or not the individual can manage the condition. Once this scenario persists, it can result to lung damage. Allergies that are left untreated pose a risk for recurring health side effects that includes ear, skin and nasal discomfort as well as infection. Modifications with the lifestyle and medications can help prevent the common complications of long-term allergies.
Allergic contact dermatitis can occur among individuals who are exposed to latex, certain plants and essential oils. When allergies on the skin are left untreated, they will simply fade but has the tendency to recur the next time the individual will encounter the substance. Extended exposure can lead to chronic skin irritation or neurodermatitis. The dermal barrier that is weakened can easily invite frequent skin infections caused by bacteria along with allergic reactions. When it comes to allergic reactions, it is important that you know the appropriate measures to carry out. All you have to do is to enroll in a first aid course so that you are prepared.
Allergens that are airborne such as mold spores, cat dander, ragweed pollen and dust mites can affect the respiratory system, resulting to the classic hay fever symptoms such as runny nose, sneezing and congestion. Individuals who have untreated allergies or controlled long-term allergies can suffer from the effects of otitis media and sinusitis if the exposure is continuous. Fungal and bacterial sinus and ear infections can reappear in a recurrent manner among those with weakened immune systems due to frequent allergic reactions.
Extensive exposure to mold can trigger long-term allergies and increases the risk of lung infection. Once sensitive individuals breathe in mold spores, these immune particles can embed within the lungs and start to grow. Individuals who have cystic fibrosis or asthma can experience an instant allergic response upon breathing. Others are not even aware that the fungal spores have entered the lungs until the growth of mold results to damage in the lung tissue. The individual can also cough up blood, chills, difficulty breathing and fever. The administration of medications or surgery might be required to control and eliminate the infectious mold growths.
Allergies that are untreated can also make asthmatic individuals sick more often and face a higher risk to severe, life-threatening asthmatic attacks. This can give rise to more allergies to other substances. Individuals with long-term allergies whose levels of exposure stay extreme or periodically increase can develop hypersensitivity pneumonitis which involves chronic lung inflammation. This can occur in the work scenario such as the inhalation of airborne molds during reaping grain or producing wine. Pneumonitis can even progress to lasting lung damage and diminished lung functioning.