What are the effects of household mold?

It is a known fact that mold is a fungi that thrives well in moist, permeable surfaces such as plaster, wood, flooring, wall board and back part of ceiling tiles. When an individual gets exposed to mold, it occurs in three ways – inhalation, direct contact with the skin and consumption of moldy food.

Mold in houses is quite common and some areas are prone to infestations of mild molds such as cladosporium and helminthosporium. Nevertheless, even the mild forms of household mold are responsible for various health issues which include upper respiratory infections, chronic sinus infections and an increase in the cases of asthma.

The amount of mold that can trigger the symptoms tends to vary from one individual to another and also depends on the immune system or respiratory system of the individual. Even though not all strains of household mold are toxic to humans, there are some that are linked with serious health issues.

Allergic reaction to mold

When an individual breathes in the mold spores, they can trigger immediate sneezing or a delayed allergic reaction that occurs as late as six hours later. The respiratory reactions typically include sneezing, coughing, infections, nasal congestion, difficulty breathing and wheezing. Other symptoms include burning or watery eyes, vomiting, diarrhea, skin rashes, fatigue and intestinal bleeding. If you want to learn how to manage the symptoms, read here.

Mold

The respiratory reactions typically include sneezing, coughing, infections, nasal congestion, difficulty breathing and wheezing.

What is black mold?

A mold can become toxic once it multiplies and sends dangerous mycotoxins into the air. The most toxic and dangerous mold include stachybotrys, aspergillus and penicillium.

Take note that these toxic molds have been connected to brain damage, memory problems, brain damage and even cancer of the esophagus, kidneys and liver as well as leukemia. The toxic molds can weaken the immune system and even cause damage on the cellular and DNA structure. This results to recurring major illnesses, miscarriage, infertility and birth defects.

Formation of household mold

Water is vital for the formation of household mold and without moisture; mold could not form or even spread. Always bear in mind that mold is likely to be present in any part of the house where water has been sitting for about 24 hours or more.

Stachybotrys usually thrives in moist environments on materials that are high in cellulose such as stacks of paper, wallpaper, ceiling tiles, wood and insulation. Nevertheless, any part of the house that has been soaked in water will also allow the toxic mold to form. Just remember that moisture can also be trapped behind carpets, shower walls, cabinet sinks, around air conditioning units and even behind ceiling tiles.

Prevention of mold infections

The ideal way to reduce the development of mold in the house is to cleanse and sanitize the refrigerator drip trays, humidifiers, air conditioners and garbage pails on a regular basis.

Always make sure that the bathroom is properly ventilated with a fan or open window. You should also check the attics, furniture cushions, mattresses, basement walls, closets and air conditioning ducts for moisture. All water leaks and moisture should be corrected as soon as possible.

All water leaks in the house should be repaired. If mold has developed, they should be cleaned away. All you have to do is to use foamy detergent and water that includes an anti-fungal particularly chlorine bleach.

Share

Tags: