What are the indications of wine allergy?

Even though moderate consumption of alcohol particularly wine can provide beneficial effects on the health such as reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases, there are certain side effects that you should be familiar with. The histamine and sulfites that are present in wine can cause adverse effects in some individuals and these are responsible for triggering allergic reactions. It is important to watch out for these symptoms when the individual consumes wines since it can indicate a wine allergy.

When it comes to any type of allergic reaction, it is best that you are prepared to manage the symptoms. All you have to do is to register for first aid training in today.

Sensitivity to sulfites

The asthma-like symptoms linked to sulfites can vary from wheezing to serious reactions that can be life-threatening. Always bear in mind that anaphylactic shock is a fatal allergic response among those who are highly sensitive to certain substances.

The symptoms appear abruptly and can include swelling, itchiness, drop in the blood pressure and breathing difficulty. It can also occur rarely among individuals who are allergic to sulfites. In most cases, the reactions typically manifest while the individual is consuming products that contain sulfite such as wine and might have a connection with the inhalation of sulfur dioxide within the sulfites.

Wine allergy

The asthma-like symptoms linked to sulfites can vary from wheezing to serious reactions that can be life-threatening.

Histamines

The sulfites might not be the only culprit behind wine allergy. There are some individuals who can suffer from an allergic response to the histamine that naturally occur in fermented products. The reactions can also occur after the consumption of other products that contain histamine. Further research is required to determine if the ingredients present in wine can cause these reactions since there might be other potential causes that are not yet known at the present.

Occurrence of headaches

Headaches along with erratic heartbeat, facial flushing, asthma and low blood pressure are the usual reactions if an individual has wine allergy. Always bear in mind that these effects can be brought about not only by the sulfites but also by the other additives present in the production of wine.

Some manufacturers of wine have noted these additives and eventually changed their process to produce products that will not trigger allergic reactions. Take note that red wine can cause wine allergy since sweeter wines usually contain more sulfites to help preserve the sugar content. The sulfites are basically the antibacterial agents and have been considered the best preservatives for wine. Headaches can manifest within 15 minutes after drinking wine. The headache that occurs after drinking red wine can occur after drinking less than a single glass especially those who have allergies. In some cases, the headache is also accompanied by flushing and nausea. Just remember that some wines can trigger these effects while others do not.

Share

Tags: