What is mango allergy?

Among the various types of food allergies, mango allergy is considered as a rare food allergy. Take note that mangoes came from the same plant family as poison oak. Mango allergy is usually triggered by an exposure to the substance known as urushiol which is present in the sap of mango and also present in poison ivy. An individual will experience an allergic reaction once he/she comes in contact with the skin of a mango, either by mouth or by hand.

Those who have mango allergy can develop contact dermatitis around the mouth which is characterized as the inflammation of the skin. The symptoms typically include itchy, red-colored and flaky skin. The best way to treat contact dermatitis is to wash the affected area thoroughly and prevent further exposure to the allergen which is the mango peel if possible.

Occurrence of hives

Individuals who experience an allergic reaction once exposed to mango can lead to the break out of red-colored, itchy welts. This usually occurs right after contact with the mango peel and forms on the lips and around the face. Another type of swelling that can occur is angioedema which usually occurs beneath the skin.

What happens during anaphylaxis?

Mango allergy

Other symptoms of anaphylaxis include abdominal pain, itching of the face, breathing and swallowing difficulty, cramps and diarrhea.

In rare cases, individuals who have mango allergy can experience an anaphylactic reaction. The individual can experience hives, swelling around the face and throat, dilated blood vessels, low blood pressure and constricted airway which can be life-threatening. Other symptoms of anaphylaxis include abdominal pain, itching of the face, breathing and swallowing difficulty, cramps and diarrhea. Always remember that this is considered as a medical emergency that would require immediate emergency care to prevent the symptoms from worsening.

How to prevent an allergic reaction to mango

Those who have mango allergy can still eat mangoes as long they steer clear from the peel which contains urushiol. This is possible by wearing thick gloves when preparing or washing mangoes. If the individual came in contact with the mango peel, you have to wash his/her hands thoroughly with dish detergent or soap right away. If this is done yet the symptoms of an allergic reaction persist, the fruit must be avoided at all costs. This involves avoiding other items that might come in contact with the mango fruit as well as the branches and leaves.

Treatment for mango allergy

The treatment for mango allergy usually depends on the type and severity of the allergic reaction. In most cases, an antihistamine can be administered in order to treat the hives and redness on the skin. Using a cortisone cream can also work but it is best to consult a doctor before starting any kind of treatment.

In case of a severe allergic reaction that involves the life-threatening symptoms, it is best to seek medical care right away. If the condition is left untreated, it can be fatal.

Share

Tags: