A girl was saved by Calgary school staff using an AED. It was only the third day of school and it was an episode that nobody could have predicted, but staff at Calgary’s Balmoral School were prepared.
Saving a life with an AED
Just one month before the start of the school year, they all went through first aid training, learned CPR and how to use the school’s on-site defibrillator.
Social studies teacher Jill Wright stated that nobody panicked when it counted most. Maryam Basharat, 11-years old collapsed on the school field. She was in cardiac arrest.
The physical education teacher, Thomas Guenther raced back to the school and grabbed the defibrillator. When they shocked Maryam, her body jolted and life came back into her and it was incredible.
The school team was honored with an EMS award and reunited with the paramedic, Paul Emmerson who arrived on the scene to continue in providing care. If CPR was not done, it would have been a different outcome.
Enroll in a first aid course today to be prepared during emergencies. The immediate delivery of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and using an AED can save a life.
For more information about this story, click here.
Learn how to help by enrolling in a course on CPR and AED and for more information, check out these sources: