A Winnipeg mail carrier who saw an unconscious woman says he was instructed to deliver CPR despite stating worries about the white powder on her shirt.
Corey Gallagher found the woman on Tuesday morning in an apartment hall while distributing mail. Since there was no response, he called for emergency assistance and told the dispatcher that he was uncertain if the woman overdosed.
The dispatcher connected him to a paramedic who instructed Gallagher to execute CPR when he reported that she was not breathing. Gallagher decided not to since he was worried about the white powder that might be fentanyl.
Direct contact or inhaling the toxic opioid can be deadly, but despite Gallagher’s hesitation, the paramedic on line continue to ask him to perform CPR.
It was around 7minutes before a separate crew arrived on the scene and assisted the woman. The condition of the woman is unknown as well as the white powder.
Is it the right thing to do?
When rescuing others, people should not put themselves in danger when attempting to rescue others. The safety of the rescuers is the priority. With the increasing cases on fentanyl, it is a growing issue of concern for many individuals.
According to Gallagher, he has been thinking a lot about whether he did the right thing. He might have overreacted but everyone he talked to said that he did the right thing. Upon seeing the woman, he immediately called for emergency assistance which was the right thing to do.
For more information about this story, click here.
Learn how to help by enrolling in a CPR training class and for more information, check out these sources: