School staff of the Calgary Balmoral School had one month training on first aid, learned CPR and how to use the school’s on-site defibrillator before the start of the school year.
It was on the third day of school, an incident happened that nobody had predicted, but staffs of Calgary Balmoral School were all prepared. An eleven year old student named Maryam Basharat collapsed on the field. The girl was in cardiac arrest. A teacher in Physical education immediately provided first aid and CPR on the girl and got the defibrillator of the school. Maryam had no pulse. They shocked the girl with the defibrillator, and she was revived.
Saving a life with first aid
After she was revived, Maryam recalled before the incident that she was sitting inside the classroom and was not feeling very well. I went inside the office and then two periods later, I fainted. I have no idea what happened to me. My friends who saw me later told me that I turned blue; my eyes rolled over and were turning blue like the color of the sky. According to the parents of Maryam, Momina Basharat and Basharat Ali, they are very grateful for the staff of the school that are trained and knew exactly what to do with the situation. They are heroes and saved our daughter’s life. It’s a miracle. The family of Maryam moved to Calgary from Pakistan five years ago.
A paramedic named Paul Emmerson arrived in the area and continued providing first aid and care for Maryam. According to Emmerson, if the staff did not know how to provide first aid and CPR and they panicked, the girl would not have made it.
The staff of Calgary Balmoral School have been honored and given an Emergency Medical Service Award and reunited with the paramedic Paul Emmerson. Maryam totally recovered in the hospital and returned back to school weeks later. Maryam is very happy and grateful because she is still alive and four out of 5,000 people survive this every year. And she is thankful she is one of those four people that survived. According to Emmerson, I could see her smiling at me and gave me a hug and a big choke. I had to swallow several times just to stop me from crying.
For more information about this story, click here.
Learn how to help by enrolling in a first aid class and for more information, check out these sources: