The family had first aid and CPR training taken separately, but they saved a life together. The Keats family from Dover were recognized for their efforts in reviving a man who nearly choked to death.
Tony Keats provides home support for the man who has autism. When the man was eating lunch, he started to show signs of distress. Keats noticed that there was a large amount of peanut butter bread in his mouth. The man has a tendency of not chewing sometimes.
Keats took some out using a spoon. He got him up and performed the Heimlich maneuver and cannot dislodge the object from his mouth. In a short while, he became unresponsive.
Working as a family
Tony’s son Cole and daughter Toni happened to be home at that time. Keats was thankful that his son and daughter were present. In no time, the whole family was working together to revive the man.
His son was delivering the breathes while Keats performed the compressions. His wife was on the phone with the ambulance operators while his daughter was giving direction.
Keats credits the family’s first aid and CPR training for saving the life of the man. He recommends everybody to get training on the necessary life-saving skills. You never know when something is going to happen and with the training, it improves the chances of survival during emergencies.
For more information about this story, click here.
Learn how to help by enrolling in a CPR training and for more information, check out these sources: