The quick thinking of 6 employees saved the life of a Calgary man. Ayaz Kara was enjoying a game of squash at the recreation center at Mount Royal University when he suddenly felt dizzy and out of breath.
According to Kara, the last thing he recalled is collapsing. His heart ceases to beat and started to turn blue and purple.
It was Michael Dubnyk, a student who was the first to respond to the scene. He started to perform CPR on the 53-year old man. According to Dubnyk, it was instinct. He quickly approached the man and started chest compressions.
What happened rapidly spread and a first aid instructor Paul Hunka raced to the scene to help. As the men continue to perform chest compression, an MRU supervisor obtained an automated external defibrillator (AED), attached it to Kara and delivered 2 shocks.
Upon the arrival of the EMS at the school, 3 other people also volunteered to help. In such emergencies, time is crucial. For every minute that the heart ceases to beat and the brain is not receiving oxygen, it lowers the chances of survival by around 10%.
Kara spent several days recovering in a healthcare facility but was well enough on Friday to thank the people who saved his life in person.
Importance of a first aid course
As a life-saving skill, enrolling in a first aid course is not a personal advantage but a way to help save lives during emergencies.
For more information about this story, click here.
Learn how to help by enrolling in a CPR course and for more information, check out these sources: